BY RICK VOAKES, MD
Slightly Tricky to Use
But Highly Effective
How to Get the Most Out of Your Nasal Steroids
Nasal steroid medications are one of the most effective means of controlling nasal allergies. Yet, many people try them and give up because they get no improvement. They have a miracle drug in their hands, but don’t know how to use it!
© RICK VOAKES 2021
A good medicine might be useless if it can't get to the right place.
A common practice in using nasal sprays is to "spray and sniff" thinking this will suck the medicine up into the nose. Wrong! This merely sucks all the medicine into your throat where it does no good, and gives you an annoying taste. Do not sniff!
Here’s how to get your miracle drug to perform its miracle:
1) Hold your breath or breathe through your mouth. Practice not sniffing.
2) Sit upright, and pump one spray into each nostril. Do not sniff.
3) Quickly lie down on your back and tilt your head back.
4) Place your index fingers on both sides of your nose and massage your nose back and forth, swishing the medication around inside your nose.
5) Then tilt your head to the left and right to get the medication into your sinus cavities, and continue to massage with your fingers.
6) After 30 seconds, you can get up, sniff, blow your nose or do anything you like. The medicine is already in your sinuses.
Sniffing your nasal spray will suck it down your throat.
So be care to avoid that! Repeat the whole routine outlined above once or twice every day. Within a day or two you will start to benefit from this extremely effective medication.
In 2014, most nasal steroids became available OTC (over the counter) without a prescription.